Almost everyone feels unsecured because of bad breath and hesitate to develop conversation with anyone. When 90% of halitosis is because of oral condition and its corresponding poor oral hygiene, 10-15% of halitosis indicates underlying systemic diseases.
- In most instance, oral problems are the cause for bad breadth. Rotten egg smell because of breakdown of cysteine amino acid is the prime reason and it is out of poor oral hygiene.
- In other case, there is something called hunger breath. When you frequently fast or skip meal, it cause reduction in salivary flow thereby decreasing bacterial clearance, which gives sulfuric odor.
- In uncontrolled diabetes, because of ketones breakdown, breath has fruit smell, which is also called as ketone smell. It indicates your high time to show concern on your blood sugar level.
- Cheesy odor in your breath would be mostly because of nasal origin. Nasal tract obstruction in case of sinusitis is more likely to give cheesy smell.
- In lower respiratory tract obstruction like asthma, cystic fibrosis, or pneumonia or infact lung cancer could give acidic smell in the breath, and it also can give an altered taste. In these conditions, the mucous secretion becomes thickened and liberate acidic smell.
- Rotting flesh odor is sensed in tonsillitis, which is caused mostly due to upper respiratory tract infection. Bacterial bloom in these condition is likely to produce rotten flesh smell. Rarely this odor is also smelt in cirrhosis of liver, which is also similar to rotten egg or decayed blood smell.
- Fishy smell in your breath is an indication for kidney disease. When kidney damages, increase in urea level gives ammonia scent in the breath.
- Sweet musty odor in the breath indicates liver failure. Breakdown of Sulphur containing amino acid in the liver failure condition like hepatic coma gives sweetened musty smell.
- Fecal order in the breath is mostly because of bowel obstruction or constipation. However, apart from that, most of the gut originated conditions like GERD (gastric esophageal reflex disorder) or heart burn, acidity, bloating, burping and all gives unusual taste and halitosis.
So, when you have bad breath it is not the time to embarrass, instead it is an alarming sign to keenly focus on your health issues and correct the underlying cause at the earliest.