Climatic changes are so unpredictable and tremendously affecting every part of the world nowadays. India is nowhere different to this situation, that drought and floods are invariably affecting every corner, in which Mumbai flood is, unfortunately, worsening now. Safeguarding everyone during flood process itself a great task; however, as a consequence of after effects come to the waterborne and vector-borne diseases.
Its all known how polluted and contaminated water will become during floods. Diseases like Cholera, Typhoid, Leptospirosis and hepatitis A are some of the common epidemic water-borne diseases. Apart from that, other possible ways of infections would be from directed contact of the contaminated water on the open wounds, non-intact skin, ear, nose and throat; however, they are not epidemic. Additionally, standing water would also increase the risk of vector-borne diseases like malaria, dengue etc.
Ways to prevent diseases during the flood :
- Firstly have to ensure safe drinking water. Free chlorination is one affordable form of drinking water disinfectant. Other ways to incorporate chlorine into water is by adding liquid sodium hypochlorite, solid calcium hypochlorite or bleaching powder. However, the concentration of organic matters in the water differs and chlorination has to be done accordingly. The residual concentration of active chlorine in the water should be between 0.2 to 0.5 mg/l after 30 minutes are accepted for safer drinking.
- Boiled water is recommended. Even though, it is a safer form of water at any time, it has to be focused particularly during outbreaks like floods and droughts.
- Promoting good hygiene practice is extremely important. Already hygiene would be compromised in these times, and if you can’t take steps to improvise it, the condition would go much worse.
- Ensure safety in food preparation as most of them are depending on water. Quality of food hygiene cannot afford to compromise by any mean. Even for cooking, it is advisable to use clean and boiled water.
- Have to be very cautious and keen on any bodily changes including a mild rise in temperature. Immediate medical intervention has to be carried out for early diagnosis as it could be because of an epidemic outbreak or at least out of infection.
- Avoid staying long in the damped places and also on damped dresses. Blooming of microorganisms are evident.
- Proper sanitation and sewage disposal have to given priority as it is more likely to act as a source of infection to worsen the situation.
- Vaccination booster doses are sometimes required and have to open up your mind to accept it.
- During flood recovering period, it is a must to prevent water stagnation, to avoid mosquito blooming.
By making above precautionary steps, it is possible to control the spreading of diseases and prevent oneself from harmful attacks.