There are certain instructions that should be followed after removal of tooth for better healing process. All these precautions are taken inorder to provide a healthy environment for the blood clot formation and enhance the healing of the tooth removed socket.
On the day of extraction ,
- Bite the cotton firmly for about one hour
- Avoid hot and spicy food for three days
- Do not spit the saliva instead keep swallowing for a day.
- Do not rinse the mouth heavily for a day
- Do not use straw kind of stuffs for drinking liquid, just do sipping.
- Avoid forceful sneeze and cough for three days
- Keep ice pack on the cheek over the tooth removed region ( particularly during the extraction of wisdom tooth and on the other tooth region when the extraction of the tooth was in difficulty level )
- Hydrate well
- Take the medications properly as prescribed by your surgeon.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption for a week.
- Do not bite and check the cheeks or lips for three hours after extraction because of numbness feel.
- If any abnormal bleeding encountered or if mild bleed does not stop for 6 hours after extraction, immediately report to the hospital.
From the next day of extraction,
- Rinse the mouth well for 4-5 times with warm saline water ( 2 ml of salt mixed with 250 ml of lukewarm water)
- Brush and floss every day to remove plaque formation
- Avoid brushing on the tooth removed region for three days or do gentle brushing
- Gently start with mouth opening exercise after 48 hours of extraction
- Do not stop antibiotics (if prescribed) in a day or two just because the symptoms are subsided , complete the full course as recommended by your surgeon.
- If sutures are placed, report to the hospital and get it removed after a week of extraction
- Maintain proper oral hygiene for asymptomatic healing
- If any abnormal pain encountered after three days of extraction, it could be due to dry socket Dry socket – Reason and treatmentand report to the hospital.
- If not able to open the mouth adequately or encountering pain while opening after 4-5 days of extraction , it could be due to trismus, indicating inadequate mouth opening exercises. Keep hot pack on the cheek on such condition for 4-5 times on regular interval and report to the hospital.