It is so common nowadays to say ” yes, i am diabetic”.. if you reach 40 years of age it became mandatory to have a check with your blood sugar level…if you are not diabetic, can you say “yes, hurray!!!” , ha ha no definitely not and you cannot…have to monitorize it regularly to check the alarming sound “am i turning diabetic!!!!” as if it is the pride of our birth my god!!!
So what is diabetes??is it a disease????
My answer may surprise you but it is true that, DIABETES IS NOT A DISEASE..It is only a condition in which the quantity of glucose in the blood is too elevated called “hyperglycemic”. It is all about the role of a single hormone called insulin whose main role is to balance the blood glucose level by triggering the cells to take up the blood glucose and utilise it for its function.
So the cause of diabetes are,
- Either due to less insulin production or no insulin
- Or due to lack of receptors in the cell to receive the insulin
- or sometimes the combination of the both
So it is all about to regulate the blood sugar level…what does it matter??? Yes, it matters a lottt…Though diabetes is only a condition, it is as important as every major diseases and should be deal with atmost importance. …when there is an imbalance, it has its own effects on every parts of the body. When it goes uncontrol, it starts to rule you unconditionally…
But why there is a sudden increase in this condition on recent centuries??? It is not only genetically drivened one( type 1 diabetes maybe exceptional which is out of an autoimmune reaction where there is no/lack of insulin secretion), but this sudden elevation in the type 2 diabetic conditions are mainly influenced by our life style and environmental factors. Yes offcourse the reason for diabetes are multifactorial. But here today, in this blog let us focus more on the lifestyle we lead and the environment we live that turning into an alarming cause…people less than 40yrs are so prone to type 2 diabetes nowadays and all these are not all of a sudden attack…
MAJOR RISK FACTORS:
- living a sedentary life
- unhealthy diet
- improper meal timing
- less or no physical activity
- improper sleep cycle
- habits like smoking, alcohol
Are they seeming healthy??? Do you fall under any of these category!!!Then yes, you are under 40% risk for diabetes.. but not to panic…Nothing is delayed than a good start. Even if you are diabetes, you can still keep it under control.
- If you are diabetic, have a regular check on your blood sugar level and take the prescribed medications accordingly. No single case are the same, so never compare your condition with the others. And do not take the medication without your physicians consultation.
- Check with your BMI(body mass index) and have a control over it. BMI inbetween 19-25 kg/m2 is considered to be healthy
- quit the habits if any
- Have a balanced diet. It is not about avoiding carbohydrate or fats and taking ample of proteins and fibers will save you from diabetes. Each and every macro and micro nutrients are essential for a proper metabolism irrespective of how often you eat. So it is all about what you eat and how much you eat and when you eat.
- Have physical activity. From the basic stretches till the hardest swimming , it is countable. Being physically active and being healthy are directly proportional. The more you work, the more healthy you feel. And again, this has to correlate with the diet you take.
- Improper sleep cycle is a slow killer. It will mess up your entire body mechanism. All needed is 6 hrs of undisturbed sleep and always give a gap of 2 hrs inbetween your dine and the bed time.. It is still ok to have a short nap in a day only if your body asks for it. It should not be a practice of sedentary lifestyle.
- I know Stress-free life is not possible to apply in the current scenario but it is all about how much importance we give for each and everything. Try to have work-life balance. It is very much necessary to have replenishments now and then.
From all these things, i would like to emphasis that, diabetes is not a dreadful disease to fear off. But when we dont Consider it properly and carefully it may turn up into the etiology for so many dreadful diseases.